Patron Bill of Rights
So that the Wanaque Public Library may provide an atmosphere conducive to the appropriate use of its services and facilities, the Public Library of the Borough of Paterson has adopted the following rules and Regulations for public behavior:
- Patrons shall be engaged in activities associated with the use of a public library while in the building.
- Patrons shall not be permitted to consume food, beverages, smoke or use tobacco in the Library.
- Patrons shall not use or be under the influence of alcohol or controlled dangerous substances.
- Patrons shall not engage in any illegal activity while in the Library building.
- Patrons shall respect the right of other patrons and shall not harass or annoy others through noisy or boisterous activities, by staring at another person with the intent to annoy that person, by following another person around the building, by playing audio/audio visual equipment so that others can hear it, by sleeping, by singing or talking loudly to others or in monologues or by behaving in a manner which reasonably can be expected to disturb or interfere with the use of the Library by other persons.
- Patrons shall not interfere with the use of the Library by other patrons, or interfere with Library employees’ performance of their duties.
- Any materials borrowed from the Library must be charged out in accordance with established procedures before they are removed from Library premises.
- Patrons shall not deface or mark books, magazines, newspapers, recordings, videos or other items in the Library collection nor shall they deface, mark or in any way destroy or damage Library furnishings, walls, machines or other Library property.
- Patrons shall not be permitted to enter the building without a shirt or other covering of their upper bodies or without shoes or other footwear. Patrons, whose bodily hygiene is offensive, so as to constitute a nuisance, shall be required to leave the building.
- Patrons shall not bring bicycles, radios, pets or animals into the Library other than service animals. No dogs shall be tied on the premises.
- No one shall sell or distribute any item or service on Library premises. Solicitation of contributions or signatures for the conduction of surveys is prohibited.
- No privately contracted or conducted activity – neither for profit nor on-going non-profit activity – will be permitted in the library.
- Photographs shall not be taken on Library premises without the permission of the library director and written permission of all those to be photographed.
- All suspicious brief cases, oversized handbags, carryalls, overcoats, luggage, packages and shopping bags are subject to inspection by the Library’s personnel. These items may not be taken into public restrooms.
- No one shall leave children under the age of seven (7) on library premises.
- Any Home Instruction program must be authorized in advance by the Board of Trustees after receiving written notification from the covering Board of Education. The Library’s policy is not to shelter unauthorized Home Instruction on its premises by a paid school employee. Only Borough employees are exempted from this provision.
Activities in the Library are also governed by local, state and federal statutes regulating conduct in public places. These regulations prohibit: Intoxication, Assault, Criminal mischief, Disorderly conduct, Harassment, Drug paraphernalia, Public indecency.
Persistent violation of the Library’s rules may result in the suspension of Library privileges, including the right to use the facilities and/or to borrow materials. Such suspension may be enacted by the Board of Trustees upon the recommendation of the Director.
Adopted June 22, 2004
By the Board of Trustees
of the Wanaque Public Library